Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Are Mass Produced Lampwork Beads Worth the Cost?


Who here hasn't needed to pinch their pennies before? And who hasn't regretted at least one purchase they made based on price? It's true that sometimes it's not worth it to pay for a name (I buy store brand macaroni and cheese because it tastes exactly like Kraft) but other times the name equals value (I definitely buy Charmin toilet paper rather than generic!).
English: Own CameraI was at one of the large craft chain stores last week and I was drawn to their jewelry section. I could not stop looking at their mass produced imported beads...it was like I was rubbernecking a car accident...I just could not stop gawking at the poor quality of these little pieces of glass. I understand that everyone has to learn how to make beads and that we have all had a bad day on the torch, but really, some beads just belong in the aquarium...and not for sale. Anyway, here is a great blog post from another artist about this topic.

I took pics of a couple of the beads I saw there and some of mine, too. My beads may not be what you are looking for but there is a lampworker out there with just the right bead for you. Can you afford less than the best in your work?
Imported bead showing weak detail and pitting from a fiber blanket which insinuates improper annealing
My bead
Poor focus on detail

My bead

Here are a few things to consider:
  • How many times will your favorite client forgive you for beads breaking on the jewelry they buy from you?
  • Will you accept a return from customers who don't like bead release all over their clothes?
  • If you need beads made in a particular style or unusual color, where do you go to buy them?
  • Have you ever lost a sale to a discerning customer who is familiar with artisan-made beads?
I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences with mass produced beads!


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment