Friday, August 17, 2012

A Short History of My Creativity

Today I was prompted to think back on how creativity began for me. That was a lot of thinking...because I actually don't remember a time before I realized that by altering something, I could turn it into something I considered beautiful. I remember (I know this is gross) chewing on my antique bed frame because I liked the look of the wood grain better than the varnish. I was around three years old then. In kindergarten, like most budding artists, I intentionally colored outside of the lines. No, not to be rebellious. It was because the fat printed lines of the drawing I was supposed to color in didn't look like cat hair. By the way, lots of cats are green, right?
When I was in third grade, my family took a trip to Texas. We had family in El Paso but we traveled to other parts of the state, too. Over the three weeks we were there I was exposed to a lot of scenery that I never could have imagined, living in my home state Michigan. The desert, the strange looking cactus, gravel yards, the colorful springs...all these things worked together to expand (blow!) my mind. One thing in particular that changed the course of my life was a little glass shop near the Alamo. I have no idea what the name of the shop was, only that the people in there were taking molten lava and turning it into beautiful works of art.
The following year, on a fourth grade field trip to the local museum, I visited the permanent paper weight collection...and have been back  to see it many times since. As a nine-year-old girl I was captivated by those glistening orbs of intricate and colorful design. Ok, I'll fast forward a...ehem...couple of years.
I finally bit the financial bullet and bought myself a lampworking set-up  in 2009. I am primarily self-taught but I do like to treat myself to the occasional tutorial.  I love melting glass...I told someone the other day that I felt like I was in a partnership with the glass, working together to create something beautiful. Corny, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment