Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sci-fi Blog Hop

I have been a fan of science fiction since I was a little girl so when I heard about this blog hop, I just had to join in! One of my favorite cartoons used to be Inspector Gadget. I used to watch that show in the morning before school and then one night a week my family watched MacGyver. Ya, he was a cutie but I was always fascinated by his ingenious damsel-saving contraptions. I know MacGyver isn't "science fiction" but he did use science and his contraptions were definitely fiction.

As I got older, I discovered the original Star Trek when Nickelodeon started showing reruns of old shows (I'll save my Monkees story for later) and when I was in high school "Star Trek: The Next Generation" began. I saw almost every episode during the original seasons plus about a dozen times each in sydication. Right now my dvr has 23 episodes waiting for me to watch during my jewelry making sessions. Do you have a question about an episode? I can probably answer it.

These days I don't have much time for television but I have had the time to discover a new favorite: Dr. Who! Not sure how I missed this show before since it has been on for like two and a half decades, but I try to catch up when I get the chance. I have noticed that two things are consistent through every episode I have seen so far: the tardis and the scarf. Here is a link to everything you ever wanted to know about this famous scarf.

(I found this photo here)



I had no problem deciding what piece I would make for this blog hop. As soon as I heard about this hop (two days ago), it took me about five seconds to decide what I was going to make. I jumped right on my torch and in less than three hours I had about 150 spacer beads made. I strung them up the next day and voila! Now I can wear Dr. Who during the summer and winter.


And here are the artists who were able to join me for this jaunt. Please stop over and see what they created:

Pam (the Crazier Sister) ~  Hostess
Lee Koopman
Zoe Marcin
Please support these wonderful ladies with a quick visit to their sites.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful representation, but doesn't it SO make you also want that scarf? Time to get out the knitting needles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually made that scarf for a fellow beader for Christmas this year...Um, I think I'll stick to lampwork, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, it just goes to show how sick I am when my first look through your inspiration and I just did NOT get it! I had to reread it twice to realize what I was seeing. NOT that YOU were in any way off or unrevealing, I'm just drugged up with a cold and between that and fighting sneezes that don't really want to come (just sit and tease my sinuses), it took me a minute. (sorry, I'm catching up, now... I think...) That's a great piece! And it'll probably be as fun for the wearer as the original inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the doc I remember from when I first started watching :) They're on the... tenth? Eleventh? Eleventh doctor now. I'm not sure how many doctors wore the scarf , since I only remember the one... but it's one of the best remembered items from the series :D Fabulous work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Skye, he's my favorite Doc of them all. I think there are 4 versions of the scarf and it was worn in eleven seasons, I believe. It saved the Doc many a time, apparently!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I loved Tom Baker as Dr Who when I was a kid, he is still THE Doctor to me (although David Tennant runs a very very close second). The bracelet is just perfect, you got the colours/pattern exactly right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping by visiting all the blogs taking part in the bead soup cant wait to see what you make!

    ReplyDelete